Monday, January 2, 2017

Author of the Day

Scott Bury

I cannot remember a time when I did not want to be a writer. My favourite course in elementary school was “composition,” where we wrote little stories, and I’d try to write the most imaginative, surprising tales I could.
I have a wide range of interests: history, geography, science, medicine, anthropology, literature, music, art, architecture … and my published work reflects that. My first published fiction was a children’s story, “Sam, the Strawb Part,” about a thin boy who tricks out his bicycle with a pirate flag and hijacks strawberries.
Next, I published a paranormal/occult story, “Dark Clouds.” Then came a historical magic realism novel set in the Eastern Roman Empire during the Dark Age — The Bones of the Earth. Then I wrote a spoof of the biggest bestseller, One Shade of Red.

Then I put out a trilogy about the Eastern Front in World War 2: Army of Worn Soles, Under the Nazi Heel and Walking Out of War (coming in early 2017). In between there, I wrote a series of action-mystery-thrillers: Torn Roots, Jet: Stealth, Palm Trees & Snowflakes, The Wife Line and Dead Man Lying.

So you can see that I chafe at the boundaries between genres.

Favourite time of year: it’s a toss-up between fall and winter. Fall is beautiful with colourful leaves and comfortable temperatures, a time when I can wear sweaters and leather jackets. And winter is the most fun time of year, with skiing and skating and snowshoeing.

Hobbies? Other than writing, keeping my house in repair and keeping up with my wife and two mighty sons takes up all of my time. But I do get a few opportunities through the year for cross-country and downhill skiing, white-water canoeing, going to the opera and watching movies.

Where to find Scott's books:

The Written Word

Amazon

Kobo

Barnes and Noble

No comments: